ACA teach-in focuses on insurance answers for young adults
[This page is preserved for historical and reference purposes only. The information contained on it may no longer be current.]
UWFox will simulcast a statewide Affordable Care Act (ACA) teach-in focusing on insurance answers for young adults on Monday, November 18 from 5-7 p.m. UWFox students and the wider campus community are invited to watch the simulcast in room #1847. The event, originating at the University of Wisconsin-Madison Health and Sciences Learning Center will simulcast to 20 of Wisconsin’s technical campuses and two and four year UW campus sites where students and the campus community will learn and discuss the insurance options available for young adults.
Young adults have many options, ranging from joining their parents’ policies to college-based student health insurance to catastrophic or comprehensive plans on the health insurance marketplace to BadgerCare, Wisconsin’s public plan or even employer-based coverage. The teach-in and webcast will answer questions about insurance, how to choose a plan and will explain how the ACA affects them.
The agenda covers several topics specific to young adults’ health insurance choices, including:
- Kathleen Falk, Regional Director – Region V, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, who will open the event and provide ACA background
- Two young adults who will recount their real-life health crisis and insurance shopping experience
- Sarah Van Orman, MD, head of University Health Services at UW Madison, to discuss student health insurance plans offered at campuses
- Brett Davis, Wisconsin’s Medicaid Director, who will explain BadgerCare+ and the program’s new options for single adults with low incomes
- Caroline Gomez of Covering Kids & Families-Wisconsin will walk participants through the Health Insurance Marketplace website, healthcare.gov, and demonstrate how to enroll
- Representatives from the insurance industry will provide a primer on insurance terms and other ways to purchase insurance
- Winning videos from the YoungInvincibles video contest
- Live-chat will be available and speakers will address questions from viewers throughout the state
Campuses are setting up group viewing opportunities or people can register to watch on their own computer. To register, please visit https://uwphi.wufoo.com/forms/registration-aca-multicampus-teach-in/.
The UW-Madison School of Public Health & Medicine, University of Wisconsin Population Health Institute, Covering Kids & Families Wisconsin, University of Wisconsin Colleges, Wisconsin Technical College System, the University of Wisconsin System and Wisconsin Union Directorate Society and Politics Committee are all sponsoring the event.
For more information about UWFox, please visit uwfox.uwc.edu or find UWFox on Facebook. For more information about the Affordable Care Act (ACA) teach-in, please contact Marketing Specialist, Meagan Hardwick at (920) 832-2624 or firstname.lastname@example.org.