UW-Fox Valley Logo

Young Adult Health Insurance Coverage

Get/Keep Your Child Insured!

Under the Affordable Care Act (sometimes known as health insurance reform or “Obamacare”), you can likely keep your adult child – up to age 26 – on your health insurance. It is important to look into this option now because “open enrollment” periods are usually when insurance companies allow you to add your adult child to your plan – and these open enrollment periods often take place in November and December.

According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, your children can join or remain on your plan even if they are married, not living with you, attending school, not financially dependent on you, or eligible to enroll in their employer’s plan. There is one temporary exception – until 2014, “grandfathered” group plans do not have to offer dependent coverage up to age 26 if a young adult is eligible for group coverage outside their parents’ plan (see link below for a description of grandfathered plans).
 This means that even if your child’s first job(s) after leaving campus doesn’t offer insurance, or if your child gets sick and has to take a break from school, you can still keep them covered.

Check with your employer and insurance company for more information. In addition, a full description of the provision is available at: www.healthcare.gov/law/features/choices/young-adult-coverage