Whether a student wishes to pursue a career in music or wants to learn more about music, UWFox can meet the needs of the student by offering a wide range of course offerings. For music majors, students can complete their first two years of music major requirements at UWFox and transfer to a professional degree program. There are three UWFox ensembles which are open to all campus students, regardless of their chosen major: Choir, Concert
Band, and Jazz Ensemble. There are several Music Appreciation courses, and also Fundamentals of Music for students who wish to study beginning Music Theory, including how to read music. UWFox offers a wonderful opportunity for any student to partake of the many music courses at the Campus.
A person working in a music related field needs the following qualities and skills:
- Personal motivation and discipline
- Innovation and creativity
- Musicianship and technique
- Deep sense of musical aptitude
A Music major may work in any of these capacities:
- Teaching (Elementary, Secondary, College/University)
- Music Therapy
- Church Music
- Acoustical Engineering
- Music Technology
Core Music courses that may be helpful in pursuing the major**:
- Music Theory I, II, III, IV
- Aural Skills I, II, III, IV
- Class Piano
- Ensembles (Concert Band, Jazz Ensemble, Choir)
- Music Appreciation
- Jazz History
- Major Applied (individual lessons)
- History of Rock and Roll
- Fundamentals of Music
**Specific music requirements will vary depending on the baccalaureate granting institution.
Looking for more information? Check out these resources.
- WISCareers – “Wisconsin’s career exploration and planning website.” Contact Student Affairs for access to this website.
- Transfer Information System (TIS) – Access a transfer planning guide for specific majors and UW institutions.
- Course Schedule – Search for courses available at UWFox
- Education advisors – An excellent resource for all your academic and career questions.