English majors enjoy reading and writing. They read and write about literature to develop an aesthetic appreciation, to gain insights into human existence, and to understand the history and culture that inspired major authors. English courses at UWFox are designed to improve students’ writing, creativity, critical thinking, and knowledge about important aspects of world cultures.
A person working in an English related field should possess the following qualities:
- An abiding interest in literature
- A desire to write
- An analytical and creative mind
- A keen curiosity about human experience
- Comprehend and analyze complex writing
- Explain complicated ideas to diverse audiences
- Write and speak precisely
- Work with others to investigate and solve problems
- Edit and proofread
- Conduct advanced research
- Evaluate and synthesize information
A B.A. in English is highly valued in the working world. Career fields popular with English majors include: advertising, arts, business, communication, education, government, journalism, law, nonprofit management, public relations, publishing, and research. A major in English is also excellent preparation for law school.
Core English courses that may be helpful in pursuing the major**:
- Creative Writing I & II
- Literary Magazines
- English Literature before 1798
- American Literature before 1865
- American Literature after 1865
- Contemporary Literature
- 20th Century Novels of the World
- 20th Century Literature
- Introduction to Shakespeare
**Specific English requirements will vary depending on the baccalaureate granting institution.
English clubs, organizations, & other opportunities on campus:
- Literature Club
- Writer’s Club
- Fox Cry Review
- The Cyclones’ Muse
- The Fox Journal
- Sigma Kappa Delta (English Honor Society)
- Student Association
Looking for more information? Check out these resources.
- WISCareers – “Wisconsin’s career exploration and planning website.” Contact Student Affairs for access to this website.
- Transfer Information System (TIS) – Access a transfer planning guide for specific majors and UW institutions.
- Course Schedule – Search for courses available at UWFox
- Education advisors – An excellent resource for all your academic and career questions.