Studying the communication arts provides for a better understanding of the total communication process. Students become more competent and adaptive communicators.
Students who major in communication arts prepare for work where written and oral communications are the defining skills. Taking introductory courses acquaints students with the basics of communication processes which can then be applied to more specialized areas of study like speech therapy, theatre, broadcasting, journalism, public relations and advertising.
A person working in commuunication should possess the following qualities and skills:
- The ability to speak clearly
- The ability to think critically, being able to evaluate that information, sort the potentially valuable from the trivial, analyze its relevance and meaning, and relate it to other
- The ability to organize thoughts into a coherent form and target it to an audience in the most effective way possible
- The ability to write well
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong research skills
- Effective productivity habits.
A communication major may work in any of these capacities:
- Speech Therapist
- Public Relations Practitioner
- Actor or Theatre Technician
- Journalist or Broadcast Technician
Core Communication Arts courses that may be helpful in pursuing the major**:
- Introduction to Interpersonal Communication
- Introduction to Public Speaking
- Applied Journalism
- Introduction to Theatre
- Theatre Laboratory
- Introduction to Film
- Introduction to Mass Communication
- Introduction to Television Broadcasting
- Introduction to Acting
**Specific communication arts requirements will vary depending on the baccalaureate granting institution.
Looking for more information? Check out these resources.
- WISCareers – “Wisconsin’s career exploration and planning website.” Contact Student Affairs for access to this website.
- Transfer Information System (TIS) – Access a transfer planning guide for specific majors and UW institutions.
- Course Schedule – Search for courses available at UWFox
- Education advisors – An excellent resource for all your academic and career questions.