Associate Dean's Position Responsibilities
The Associate Campus Dean serves at the pleasure of the UW-Fox Valley CEO/Dean. The appointment is a 75%, academic year position, with a stipend for two months of summer service. This is a three-year appointment with the possibility of renewal.
The appointee assumes primary responsibility for curricular leadership of the campus. Reporting to the CEO/Dean, s/he is responsible for coordination with the governance committees handling curricular matters, notably the Curriculum Committee.
The appointee also assumes primary responsibility for the hiring and retention decision regarding Instructional Academic Staff (IAS) in coordination with academic departments and relevant governance committees, notably the Appointments and Evaluations Committees.
Typical duties include:
- Conduct curricular studies that provide information for long-range planning, in conjunction with the Curriculum Committee, and prepare staffing documents as part of the UW Colleges Protocol of Planning, Curriculum, Staffing and Budget.
- Review the academic program in light of students’ curricular plans, scheduling preferences, and logical sequences, and in consultation with the Curriculum Committee and Assistant Campus Dean for Student Affairs, recommend strategies for recruitment and retention of students.
- Coordinate and periodically review special curricular programs that are not part of the regular curriculum, including distance education initiatives with the UW Colleges or individual campuses.
- Confer with Curriculum Committee, the faculty, and the Assistant Campus Dean for Student Affairs on scheduling of classes for the academic year, Winterim, and summer session, and entry of those curricula into the appropriate computer systems.
- In collaboration with the CEO/Dean, Assistant Campus Dean for Student Affairs and Administrative Services, and Curriculum Committee chair, make decisions regarding the cancellation of class sections based on enrollment, budget and curricular need.
- Collaborate with the Director of Continuing Education to identify instructors and coordinate credit outreach and high school concurrent enrollment classes.
- Work with the CEO/Dean to coordinate collaborative programs with other educational institutions.
- Coordinate both formal and informal collaborations with regional K-12 schools in areas of curriculum other than concurrent enrollment.
- Supervise campus coordinators for curricular programs as assigned by the CEO/Dean.
- Assist in the preparation of position descriptions for IAS to be advertised by academic departments and by the Dean’s Executive Assistant.
- Schedule interviews and coordinate interviews for IAS with Appointments Committee. Serve as the dean’s office representative on IAS interviews.
- Make hiring decisions for IAS positions subsequent to recommendations of the Appointments Committee, conferring with the CEO/Dean as necessary.
- Review the annual instructional needs and assist with preparation of the annual IAS staffing plan. Serve as an ex-officio, non-voting member of the Staffing Prioritization Committee.
Evaluation, Retention, Promotion
- Assist the campus Evaluations Committee in reviewing Activity Reports, student complaints, student surveys of instruction, and other evidence of the teaching effectiveness of IAS for the purpose of merit ratings. Consult with the Evaluations Committee chair regarding merit rankings prior to the submission to the dean.
- Using feedback from the merit review process and other evidence of teaching effectiveness, make reappointment decisions for IAS.
- If need for improvement by an IAS member is identified, work with campus department representatives, mentors, and Department Chairs to advise the IAS member as to how improvement can be effected.
- Confer with the CEO/Dean as the Dean makes decisions based on recommendations from departments and the Evaluations Committee on promotion of IAS.
Revised March 2, 2012